Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Address on Vietnam War

Vice President Spiro Agnew
Important because it was a time of youth revolt during the Vietnam War
I feel that it is interesting because times have changed so dramatically and I find it interesting what Agnew had to say about youth in general. Revolt in general. and Anti-war in general. I found it important because this speech shows significant change between then and now and youth involvement in politics and social issues.
Hostile, insulting, serious, bold and harsh, collected
I feel that specific words should be louder but overall the speech should be collected and at a moderate tone that inflicts its seriousness on its listeners
Call to action should be the insults and words he used to describe the youth
"Gross, persuasion, young, imaginative, educated, proclaim, obliterated, generation gap, slobs, intellectuals"
The speech itself doesn't make me angry or anything but rather its really interesting to me and intrigues me. I think the differences in history when it comes to youth rebellion is curious to me because what I know now, I know I could never think differently, and that I would be considered this slob.
I imagine that the adult audiences would majority agree with his speech, but I'm sure youth my age were extremely insulted and angry when they first heard this. But I believe it pushed them to be stronger and work harder for what they believed in.
Another interpretation I took was that though the youth is a rebellious group at times, that this should be encouraged and not ignored because what we revolt about is what is upcoming in history.

Spiro Agnew: 39th VP of the US 1969-1973. Serving under President Nixon. Under investigation by the US Attorney Office in maryland on charges of extortion, tax fraud, bribery and conspiracy. Known as Nixon's "Hatchet Man" defending administration on the Vietnam War. Chosen to make several powerful speeches in which he spoke out against anti war protestors and media portrayal of the Vietnam War.

No comments:

Post a Comment