Saturday, May 8, 2010

Reflection '09-'10

I am finishing up my freshman year at the University of Kansas. Reflecting on my first year in college I am proud to say how much I have grown as a person and a young adult artist. Going into my freshman year I gave up being my extremely social self and focused entirely on my academics and my three hour studio classes. I had to focus entirely on academics to first, be admitted into the design department, and then second, to achieve the highest GPA possible and get admitted into the Graphic Design Program. I accomplished both. Proudly. I have never been strong in my academics but I pulled off a 3.4 GPA and was admitted along with the 43 other students into the prestigious Graphic Design Program. Approximately 80 students applied.
My fall '09 studio classes came easy to me. Drawing I came to be naturally. I was introduced to Figure Drawing which became one of my favorite in-class projects. I have improved drastically even thought I still have plenty of room for improvement. My Design I class was challenging but not impossible. Our first project was to make a book on the Gestalt Theory. It was my first major college project and it challenged me to perfect my craftsmanship and time management.
My spring '10 studio classes were the same and different. My Drawing II class, again, came easy to me. We continued with figure drawing and the basics but then explored watercolor. My Design II class really woke me and pushed my growth exponentially. The Design II class taught by Professor Swindell was incredibly challenging for me. We focused entirely on 3-dimensional artwork, something that is very new to me. Problem #1 consisted of a 12"x12" Acrylic Cube that we drilled into and then threaded through to create visual space. It was challenging but a lot of fun. Problem #2 was a wire 12"x12" cube. We constructed layers of wire on interior to create density and atmosphere and then placed it on a light box. Problem #3 was the most challenging for me. We had to create a kinetic design involving a electronic motor and movement. I welded a child's wheel frame to a small fan and organized playing cards in a gradual up and down motion. Problem #4 involved us to partner up with a fellow classmate (Jing Jian) and construct a two wheel rickshaw buggy out of recycled material which will then be used to perform and race.
The majority of my growth this year came from my Design II class. My professor was influential and honest. He has been the best art teacher I have ever had. He has pushed us to think like designers. Reflecting, I find my growth was mostly in the thought of process. I am much more observant and aware of my surroundings. I also am much more thoughtful in the process of design and drawing. I do not just jump into a project anymore, instead, I think it out and problem solve and achieve the final product.
My freshman year has gone by obnoxiously quickly. But I feel that I am one of the few college freshman students who are ready to graduate already! Yet I will be patient and follow through my academics to gain all the knowledge to be the best at what I do.
My goals currently are to study abroad my junior academic year, including summer if I can financially support it (for a continuation of travel and academic growth). By studying abroad I hope to gain a new sense of cultural art knowledge. I want to know the differences in art around the world and be able to apply it to my job and academics when I return to the United States. I would like to make connections overseas and stay in touch with them. I would really like to have galleries or graphic design agencies scattered between the United States and other countries. My goals extend past my four years at KU. I would like to continue onto graduate school either on the east or west coast. I would again like to study abroad during graduate school. I am very excited for my academic and artistic future. I am also very confident that I can achieve this.

No comments:

Post a Comment